Monday, August 8, 2011
LASPAU/IDIA Short Online Course for Pontificia Universidad CatÃ³lica de Chile and the Universidad Adolfo Ibanez (Chile) (Cambridge, MA)
This short-course introduces participants to the ideas of Peer Instruction (PI) and Just- in-Time-Teaching (JiTT), two research-based methods for engaging students, improving conceptual understanding, increasing retention in courses and programs, and enhancing academic performance. Participants will also learn about a new approach to instructional design. Finally, participants will apply the knowledge gained to a specific course module they are (or will be) teaching, by re-designing (or designing) the syllabus for this course module and developing a plan for implementing PI and JiTT. The short- course consists of two 2-hour long online sessions, a number of online assignments, and follow-up activities on participantsâ use of PI and JiTT in their course modules.
After completing this workshop you will be able to:
- characterize key components of PI and JiTT,
- apply PI and JiTT in your chosen course module, customizing each to fit within your own pedagogical approach, and
- identify available resources for helping you implement PI and JiTT.
This 2-hour live online session will:
- present a plan for implementing PI and JiTT, â¢ try out a ConcepTest question,
- discuss challenges encountered in the implementation of these methods,
- address the questions submitted on the enrollment form, and
- discuss the design of effective ConcepTests.